News Archive 2008
- 1 News Archive 2008
- 1.1 Braid launch date updated
- 1.2 Spore may be released via Steam
- 1.3 Return to Mysterious Island 2 announced
- 1.4 Grand Theft Auto 4 available on Steam for pre-order
- 1.5 Record sales for Fallout 3
- 1.6 Left 4 Dead system requirements announced
- 1.7 Secret Service Announced
- 1.8 Stargate Worlds closed beta test announced
- 1.9 Fallout 3 to be censored globally
- 1.10 Release date for Wrath of the Lich King expansion announced
- 1.11 Far Cry 2 release date announced
- 1.12 Mirror's Edge System Requirements announced
- 1.13 STALKER: Clear Sky is now Gold
- 1.14 The Sims 3 launch date announced
- 1.15 Crysis Warhead release date and system requirements announced
- 1.16 Grand Theft Auto 4 for PC announced
- 1.17 Divinity 2: Ego Draconis announced
- 1.18 Tomb Raider: Underworld release date announced
- 1.19 Starcraft 2 delayed
- 1.20 2K Games removes DRM from Bioshock
- 1.21 Patch 1.3 for Crysis cancelled
- 1.22 Mass Effect is now Gold
- 1.23 The Witcher Enhanced Edition delayed
- 1.24 Mercenaries 2: World in Flames announced
- 1.25 WorldShift now in Open Beta
- 1.26 Portal 2 confirmed
- 1.27 nVIDIA buys AGEIA Technologies
- 1.28 THQ buys Big Huge Games
News Archive 2008
Braid launch date updated
The game is now scheduled to be released in February or March 2009, three months later than the previous release date.
Spore may be released via Steam
The Spore EULA has mysteriously appeared on Steam, which may be a sign that Electronic Arts seriously considers using digital distribution platforms like Steam to sell their titles.
With the exception of Crysis and Crysis Warhead (which were released through Steam after an agreement was made between Crytek and Valve), Spore would be the first game approved for electronic distribution by the management of Electronic Arts, something that a few months ago would have been unbelievable.
Return to Mysterious Island 2 announced
Microids has announced Return to Mysterious Island 2, a point-and-click adventure game which will continue the action of the game Return to Mysterious Island.
The game will be launched in March 2009 and will be available for PC and iPhone.
Based on Jules Verne books, the adventure game will place players on a mysterious island, close to being destroyed by an ecologic disaster.
Grand Theft Auto 4 available on Steam for pre-order
Valve Software has announced that the PC version of Grand Theft Auto 4 can be pre-ordered through Steam. Players can purchase it for $49.99 and will be rewarded with a free copy of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.
The estimated release date for the game is the 3rd of December.
Record sales for Fallout 3
According to Bethesda Softworks, their recent post-apocalyptic role playing game Fallout 3 has been sold to over 4.7 million customers, bringing them a revenue of over 300 million dollars.
Left 4 Dead system requirements announced
Valve has issued a new set of system requirements for the PC version of its cooperative zombie shooter Left 4 Dead.
The requirements are with one exception identical with the previous announcement, only the amount of video memory is lowered from 256MB to 128MB.
Here are the complete system requirements:
- OS: Windows XP, Vista, Vista64
- CPU: 3.0 GHz P4, Dual Core 2.0 or AMD64X2 (or higher)
- RAM: 1 GB for XP / 2GB for Vista
- Disc drive: DVD-ROM Drive
- Hard drive: At least 7.5 GB of free space
- Video: Direct X 9 compatible video card - Video card must be 128 MB or more and should be a DirectX 9 compatible with support for pixel shader 2.0 (ATI 9600 or higher, Nvidia 6600 or higher)
- Sound: Direct X9.0c compatible sound card
Secret Service Announced
Activision has announced the launch of a new game, Secret Service. The tactical action game will be launched by the end of this year and will be available on PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox 360.
Players will have the job of protecting the political leaders of the United States of America from extremist groups and terrorists.
Stargate Worlds closed beta test announced
On the 15th of October, Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment will launch the closed beta test for their MMO called Stargate Worlds. The official site allows anyone interested to apply for an account.
Stargate Worlds is scheduled to be launched in 2009.
Fallout 3 to be censored globally
After several ban threats from Australian organizations, Bethesda Softworks made several alterations to the post-apocalyptic RPG, Fallout 3.The updated version giving fictional names to all drugs available inside the game has been later approved for sale in Australia.
Pete Hines, the vice-president of Bethesda Studios, has announced that this censored version will be sold globally and that there will not be any other regional versions, in order to prevent rating issues or other content related "misunderstandings".
Release date for Wrath of the Lich King expansion announced
Blizzard Entertainment studios have officially confirmed the release date of the second expansion for World Of Warcraft, Wrath of the Lich King.
The game will be released on the 13th of November, in a 39.99 Euro standard version and a 69.99 Euro Collector's version.
The Collector's edition will include:
- the Art of World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, a 208-page book featuring never-before-seen images from the game
- a Making-of movie
- the official soundtrack CD, containing 21 epic tracks from the game, along with exclusive bonus tracks.
- World of Warcraft Trading Card Game March of the Legionâ„¢ starter decks, along with two exclusive cards available only in the Collectorâ€™s Edition
- a mouse pad featuring a map of the newly opened continent of Northrend
- An exclusive in-game pet: Frosty, the baby frost wyrm
Far Cry 2 release date announced
According to Ubisoft, the first person shooter Far Cry 2 will be available in retail stores starting from the 24th of Octomber.
Along with versions for PC, Playstation 3 and Xbox360, there will be a collector's edition, which will be sold in an exclusive wooden box, with a t-shirt, an art book, a map and a "Making Of" DVD.
Mirror's Edge System Requirements announced
During the NVISION 08 event, Electronic Arts has announced the system requirements for the action game Mirror's Edge, currently under development at DICE studios.
The game will run on Windows XP or Windows Vista, will need at least a Pentium 4 at 2.4 Ghz and 1 GB of memory. The recommended video cards should be at least as powerful as a GeForce 6 series card, with 256 MB of memory.
STALKER: Clear Sky is now Gold
According to GSC Game World and its publishing subdivision GSC World Publishing, the first person shooter S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky is now Gold.
However, the game's launch date has been delayed to the 5th of September 2008, from the previous date of 29th of August, 2008.
The Sims 3 launch date announced
At Games Convention 2008, Electronic Arts has revealed the launch date for The Sims 3, the 20th of February, 2009.
Crysis Warhead release date and system requirements announced
Electronic Arts and Crytek studios have announced that the first person shooter Crysis Warhead will be available in European retail stores starting from the 12th of September. In the United States of America, the game will be sold starting from the 16th of September.
Along with the release date, the system requirements were presented:
- Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz (3.2 GHz for Windows Vista), Intel Core 2.0 GHz (2.2 GHz for Windows Vista), AMD Athlon 2800+ (3200+ for Windows Vista) or better
- Memory: 1GB (1.5GB on Windows Vista)
- Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (Radeon X800 Pro for Vista) or better, with at least 256MB of video memory and DirectX 9.0c/DirectX 10 compatible
- Disk space: 15GB
- Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible
- Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or Microsoft Windows Vista
The game will feature sergeant "Psycho" Sikes, the action of the place taking place in parallel with the story of Crysis but presents the events from another perspective.
Grand Theft Auto 4 for PC announced
Rockstar Games studios have officially announced that Grand Theft Auto 4 for PC will be released on the 18th of November in the United States of America and the 21st of November in Europe.
The PC version will include an extended multiplayer mode, unlike the console version of the game.
Divinity 2: Ego Draconis announced
dtp entertainment has officially announced that the Belgian studio Larian is currently working on the new action-RPG called Divinity 2: Ego Draconis.
The game's action will take place in Rivellon. Players take part as dragon hunters, improving their abilities and choosing various specializations, aiming to become a Dragon Lord.
Besides the high number of available guns, the quests will be different compared to previous games in the series, in order to offer various techniques of solving situations.
Tomb Raider: Underworld release date announced
Eidos announced that the action game Tomb Raider: Underworld, developed by Crystal Dynamics, will be available in European retail stores starting with the 21st of November, 2008.
Starcraft 2 delayed
At the Worlwide Invitational Entertainment event in Paris, Rob Pardo, the vicepresident of Blizzard, has mentioned that the single player campaign of the much expected real-time strategy game Starcraft 2 is only 33% complete.
The game producers are confident they'll be able to have something close to complete by the end of this year.
2K Games removes DRM from Bioshock
Elizabeth Tobey, currently the 2K Games Community Manager, has announced on the official forum that the activation restrictions have been removed from the first-person shooter Bioshock.
Previously, players were able to activate the game using a CD key up to only five times.
Patch 1.3 for Crysis cancelled
Crytek has announced through their usual monthly news update that they will no longer offer the 1.3 patch for their first person shooter, Crysis.
At the same time, they will stop development on the Linux version of the dedicated multiplayer server.
Mass Effect is now Gold
Electronic Arts has announced that the PC version of the role playing game Mass Effect is now Gold and will be available in European retail stores on the 6th of June, after being released in US on the 28th of May in US.
The Witcher Enhanced Edition delayed
CD Projekt RED Studios have announced the decision to delay the launch of The Witcher Enhanced Edition in order to fine tune it.
The programmers promise to improve loading times with up to 80%, over 100 new animations for Geralt and non playing characters, a better inventory systems and a complete rewrite of the dialogue system.
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames announced
Pandemic Studios have announced the release date for their sandbox action game Mercenaries 2: World in Flames. It will be launched in the United States on the 31st of August, 2008.
WorldShift now in Open Beta
Black Sea studios have announced the start of the Open Beta test for the RTS/MMO hybrid Worldshift.
The action of this game takes place in the future, thousands of years after the human population was destroyed by a mysterious object that crashed on Earth, called Shard Zero. The game features randomly generated maps and thousands of objects that replace the classic tech trees.
The Open Beta is being hosted by FilePlanet.
Portal 2 confirmed
There were no other details given to the press besides this announcement.
nVIDIA buys AGEIA Technologies
nVidia has announced that they've reached an agreement to purchase AGEIA Technologies. AGEIA is known for their PhysX technology, used in popular games like City of Villains, Gears of War, Auto Assault or Unreal Tournament 3.
There were no financial details released to the press.
THQ buys Big Huge Games
Over 100 employees of Big Huge Games will continue to work on a new role playing game for PC, Xbox360 and Playstation 3.